A real world NASCAR to keep in mind

Trent Sherrell trent at tsherrell.com
Tue Jun 15 21:44:54 UTC 2010

I haven't been following much of the OpenID discussions - so, my apologies
if this comes very late in the conversation. I personally love the idea of
getting OpenID out of the cyber world only and into the physical world.
There are so many real-world applications which would stand to benefit from
a some sort of common ID and UX platform -- from confusing ATMs and parking
payment machines to self service grocery store and airline kiosks.

Kindest regards,
Trent Sherrell
XeeSm.com/tSherrell

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> what
>> >
>> > This looks very much like what we have come up with for our OpenID based
>> login
>> > in SUSE Studio after quite some iterations: http://susestudio.com/login
>> >
>> > It seems to work pretty well, so I can only agree with the notion that
>> these
>> > kind of interfaces are a good OpenID experience.
>>
>> I really, really hope that we move beyond the NASCAR approach. It
>> solidifies the existing players which then have little motivation to
>> innovate. What new features have credit card companies rolled out? Why don't
>> I have a web API to my credit card information so that I can mix my purchase
>> data with other data?
>

> <flamebait class="ignore">And yet potential solutions like XAuth get shut
> down because on the surface they appear too centralized. It's
> ironic.</flamebait>
>
> It's worth looking at implementations like the SuseStudio UI though...
> there are some nice touches there. Too bad the "request invitation" option
> didn't work off of WebFinger.
>
> Another interesting model is Endor.se:
>
> http://endor.se/signup
>
> They require an email address but then use Twitter Connect to actually
> validate and sign you in. Great example of what the *Connect UI might look
> like.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Messina
> Open Web Advocate, Google
>
> Personal: http://factoryjoe.com
> Follow me on Buzz: http://buzz.google.com/chrismessina
> ...or Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrismessina
>
> This email is:   [ ] shareable    [X] ask first   [ ] private

Kindest regards,

Trent Sherrell
Information Architect / Social Media Strategist

Web: XeeSM.com/tSherrell
Email: trent at tSherrell.com
Office: 1.630.445.1095
Fax: 1.847.220.9169