Popup flow

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Tue Sep 22 19:08:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a good question and warrants wider study.
> I would think that the blocking behavior would be based on the window opener
> code in JavaScript (and Flash), but if they have a more aggressive popup
> blocker, then perhaps it's based on certain hosts.
> That said, unless your mom is uber technical and running her own OpenID — it
> seems unlikely that the big OpenID providers would be blocked. Additionally,
> if an OP doesn't support the popup flow, then the full window redirect is
> the fallback... perhaps we just need to have a recommendation that offers
> text to the effect of "If you don't see a popup window, click here".

Interesting discussion, and question. On this last topic, re "running
her own OpenID", how does this interact with the OpenID delegation
mechanism? I expect there will be many mums and dads out there who
might not be up to running their own
openid service, but will be in a position to buy their own domain
name. The DNS registrar sites aren't generally very nice for
non-geeks to use, but that'll change and newly purchased domains will
be automatically wired up as delegating openids.

Dan

(who knows very little about popup blocker mechanics...)