Popup flow

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 16:53:44 UTC 2009

Chris Messina wrote:

> That said, unless your mom is uber technical and running her own OpenID
> — it seems unlikely that the big OpenID providers would be blocked.
> Additionally, if an OP doesn't support the popup flow, then the full
> window redirect is the fallback... perhaps we just need to have a
> recommendation that offers text to the effect of "If you don't see a
> popup window, click here".

Frontend JavaScript is far fromm my main area of expertise, but I
believe there's a way to detect whether window.open succeeded... maybe
the return value of window.open, or even just trying to reference the
window by name and seeing if exists?

That way the fallback onto the non-popup flow could be completely
transparent as long as the consumer site's UI can deal with losing its
context.