MySpace OpenID Popup spotted in the wild

jDavid jdavid.net at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:51:44 UTC 2009

I have been thinking about what to ask for, and it comes to mind that
browsers throw a special popup for 'basic authorization' with special
headers.
It would be great if there was a semantic html way to define the openid
login process, and if the browser supported it, it could report that via
javascript.

<openid:login consumer_key='123456' signing_page='auth.php'
callback='someresource.php' />

another option would be to do it in the header of any response

openid_login:consumer_key='123456'&signing_page='auth.php'&callback='someresource.php'

I have also been thinking of a way to authorize S3 files via openId, in
addition to the methods that amazon already supports.

Doing the login via an iframe seems like a bad idea, unless SSL had some
better rules for secure iFrames on SSL delivered parent pages.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Brendan O'Connor <openid at ussjoin.com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Johannes Ernst
> <jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us> wrote:
> > I've been trying to convince the VeriSign guys for some time to
> open-source
> > Seatbelt, but so far I have failed ...
> >
> > Would you say that all we'd need/want the browser guys to do is ship
> > Seatbelt-like functionality?
>
> I would, yes. Especially as it answers Evert's requests, as well; it
> pops up whenever it notices an OpenID login box.
>
> ---Brendan O'Connor

Justin Kruger -- Sr. Software Engineer - MySpace MDP
http://jDavid.net
jDavid.net at gmail.com

Anton Freeman: Vincent! How are you doing this Vincent? How have you done
any of this? We have to go back.
Vincent: It's too late for that. We're closer to the other side.
Anton Freeman: What other side? You wanna drown us both?
Vincent: You wanna know how I did it? This is how I did it Anton. I never
saved anything for the swim back.