Address Bar

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:25:35 UTC 2009

Given that the previous research on this kind of thing was conducted in
2004, it would be highly advantageous to have some more contemporary data
and usability feedback!
Please let us know if you're successful!

Chris

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Allen Tom <atom at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>  Yahoo recently finished a usability study in which nearly all of the
> participants successfully signed into a large newspaper website using a
> prototype version of the Yahoo OpenID Provider that used a popup for
> authentication.
>
> I'm trying to see if we can publicly release the detailed results of the
> study, but suffice to say, the results far exceeded expectations and we
> believe that the popup will dramatically increase the success rate for
> signing in with OpenID.
>
> Allen
>
> Ben Clemens wrote:
>
> Amen to that. Our testing has shown an almost instinctive aversion to
> popups, though I understand why & am implementing them for auth here...
>

> On 3/27/09 9:09 AM, "Chris Messina" <chris.messina at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Breno de Medeiros <breno at google.com>
> wrote:
>
> This analysis (made in 2004) does not take in account the proliferation of
> popup blockers that have significantly reduced the prevalence of such bad,
> unsolicited popup ads they refer to. Remember the "Your computer is infected
> with a virus!"?
>

> Actually, that's not the whole story. On page 9 they mention:
>
>  A final argument against any pop-ups is that many web browsers, plug-ins,
> toolbars,
> and other technologies block pop-ups or otherwise make them less likely to
> be seen
> by users who have installed such technologies. Pop-up blockers are getting
> to be
> more popular (because of users’ negative experience with pop-ups) and will
> become
> a standard component of Internet Explorer — the most commonly used browser.
>

> I think it IS true that many popups have gone away because they've become
> less effective at tricking users. There's still plenty of popunder ads that
> exist — and that are created by user actions, such as clicks, that are much
> harder to ban.
>

> My recent experience with popups is that they are used fairly infrequently,
> and often for login purposes, typically in syndicated enterprise services.
>

> For the UI Working Group that was just voted to proceed, we must make user
> testing a priority with this work, to verify that common perceptions of
> popups have changed, or at least won't diminish the usefulness of our work.
>
> Chris
>

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Chris Messina <chris.messina at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Here's the VbV example UI:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/142616582/
>
> Apparently VbV has been used in previous scams:
>
> http://www.hoax-slayer.com/verified-by-visa-scam.shtml
>
> In 2005, one of the VbV program heads said [1]:
>
> "Verified by Visa is a program that Visa eliminates online payment fraud
> liability for online merchants who provide a mechanism in their checkout
> [...]

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // vidoop.com