MySpace OpenID Popup spotted in the wild

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:21:32 UTC 2009

Yeah, that was my number one concern. Hiding the URL bar is really the WRONG
way to do it (something the spec MUST address, though I doubt in that
context we can use the word MUST...).
To see this in action, visit the test site:

http://8bitmusic.jdavid.net/

The experience with the site is extremely weird: I signed in properly using
the popup and the login page refreshed instead of providing me some kind of
"success" message. I thought I'd entered the wrong credentials and hit
cancel, but then the parent window refreshed and showed my profile, with a
bunch of my data prepopulated (without asking me for explicit access
permission):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3370317843/

Clearly this leaves something to be desired, but now we at least have an
alternative to Facebook Connect that we can look at!

Chris

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Allen Tom <atom at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>  http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3369029303/
>
> Looks really nice! My main feedback is that the browser's address bar needs
> to be displayed so that users can tell if they're logging into myspace or
> not.
>
> The instructions on MySpace's home page says that you shouldn't login to
> this popup. :)
>
> Always make sure you're visiting the real myspace.com!
>
>    1. Check the URL in your browser.
>    2. Make sure it begins with http://www.myspace.com/
>    3. If ANY OTHER PAGE asks for your info, DON'T LOG IN!

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // vidoop.com