[step2] Re: OpenID Popup Extension - Draft 0

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Sun Feb 15 18:45:38 UTC 2009

Dirk Balfanz wrote:
> Hi Allen,
>
> thanks for putting this together. Two comments:
>
> (1) Why are the height and width sent in the request? Isn't the OP
> gonna know how big its popup window is (window.innerWidth and
> window.innerHeight)?

Hi Dirk,

The idea is that there could be different popup dimensions in the
future, and the OP would know which popup to serve based on the query
parameters, without having to wait for the document to load before the
JS runs. For instance, currently we believe that 450x500 is the optimal
size, but new form factors will probably evolve over time, so passing
the dimensions can make the popup extension more future proof for future
popup sizes.

It would be nice to NOT have to rev the extension if we later define a
mobile popup, or if display technologies evolve such that 450x500 is too
small.

> (2) Can we kill two birds with one stone here and make this the UX (as
> opposed to popup) extension, and add stuff like language?
>
> Something like this:
>
> openid.ns.ux = http://specs.openid.net/extensions/ux/1.0
> openid.ux.style = popup
> openid.ux.language = en_NZ
>
> What do you think?

I proposed combining the popup and the language preference extension
into a single extension, but I got feedback indicating that it's
preferable to have 2 separate extensions.

I personally don't have a preference, but I can see how RPs and OPs
could consider popups and language preferences to be orthogonal.

Allen