openid implementation advice

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 02:59:27 UTC 2009

Hmm, ok.
You mentioned user testing. I'm surprised that an act initiated by a user
would cause them to instinctively close the popup.

I was thinking about this, and I think that we need to address this with a
button or link that better describes what's about to happen. Here are some
rough mockups:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3280478828/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3279658729/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3280481558/

And for good measure, here's how to sign out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3279663105/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/3280495172/

Considering what Jacob Nielson has said about popups, I think this direction
is worth pursuing (even if the arrived upon conclusions don't look precisely
as I've mocked them up).

Unless you warn them, Web users are likely to expect the new page to load in
> the current window. Unexpected surprises can be fun, but not when you're
> browsing the Web.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/beware-opening-links-new-window/

What do you think?

Chris

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Ben Clemens <bclemens at currentmedia.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Ben Clemens <bclemens at currentmedia.com>
> wrote:
>
> I really appreciate the reply, and I understand the large problems of
> breaking a security model; I imagine the "big button that spawns a pop-up"
> solution is where we will have to go. Perhaps I just have to accept the
> "least bad" scenario given the limitations that exist, but it is hard to
> "embrace." :)
>

> On 2/13/09 2:16 PM, "Luke Shepard" <lshepard at facebook.com <
> http://lshepard@facebook.com> > wrote:
>
> First, these mocks look pretty sweet. It's clear you've done a lot of
> thinking about the experience of a relying party.
>
> Steps 1,2, and 4 can all be done on your site, and for step 3, there's no
> need to break security policy by using an iframe. I think the providers are
> working on better designs that make it completely clear what's happening to
> the user so as to require minimal context from the RP. However, if you
> really want to tell the user what's happening before they click, then I
> suggest making an iframe lightbox explaining what's happening, then giving
> them a big fat Google button to click on, which spawns the popup. That would
> seem to accomplish the same goals.
>
> If they weren't already, I'm pretty sure Google and others will start
> putting iframe-busting Javascript to make this kind of thing impossible.
>
> We are working on putting together a best practices doc on the wiki as a
> result of the UX summit on Tuesday. Any feedback would be appreciated:
> http://wiki.openid.net/Details-of-UX-Best-Practices-for-RPs
>
> On 2/13/09 1:10 PM, "Ben Clemens" <bclemens at currentmedia.com <
> http://bclemens@currentmedia.com> > wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> I'm a designer working on an OpenID (and FB Connect) implementation for
> current.com <http://current.com> , a social news site from Current TV (a
> cable TV channel). I've
> consulted with Chris Messina and wanted to ask this group for advice on the
> design I have so far.
>
> The largest issue for me has been attempting to do parts of the process in
> pop-up window. While the domain of the site the user is providing their
> credentials to is a gigantic issue of course, the issue of *what exactly
> current.com <http://current.com>  will use the account access for* is
> *even bigger* for users I've
> talked with. Users do not want to provide access if we will be adding items
> to their account without their permission, and after a pop-up is launched
> (or there's a redirect), I have no ability to message the user about what
> my
> site will do with the access they are providing. So, this version of the
> design loads the external auth into an iFrame (now, excuse me while I cower
> behind a mattress and prepare for the tomatoes and other thrown objects).
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback, advice, criticism, and an obvious, easy

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Web Advocate-at-Large

factoryjoe.com # diso-project.org