openid implementation advice

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 00:24:25 UTC 2009

Ben Clemens wrote:
> I really appreciate the reply, and I understand the large problems of
> breaking a security model; I imagine the “big button that spawns a
> pop-up” solution is where we will have to go. Perhaps I just have to
> accept the “least bad” scenario given the limitations that exist, but it
> is hard to “embrace.” :)

It's worth noting that most OPs will check by default the "Don't ask
next time" option, so a returning user who is already signed in to his
OP can be authenticated completely on your site with no visible pop-up
windows or redirects.

(You do need to do the OpenID flow in a hidden frame, but that's an
implementation detail the user doesn't need to know about.)