OpenID in desktop apps

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 03:27:34 UTC 2009

Christopher St John wrote:

>> I don't see a big
>> detriment in the user workflow for even a mobile app that pops up the
>> browser and, after auth, returns to the custom protocol of the app (i.e.
>> facebook:///mygarden_is_now_authed), which communicates back to the app the
>> output.
>>

> Well, "current thinking" seems to be that the delegated authc/authz
> dance is a detriment, so saying it's not is controversial (and ref
> evidence that even small impediments to usability can significantly
> reduce user acceptance of security enhancements)

Furthermore, this custom protocol approach bothers me on a few different
levels:

* From a purely theoretical perspective, making global system
configuration changes in order to support a local app issue is troublesome.

* I'm concerned about the performance implications of having dozens of
protocol handlers registered. It's possible that the underlying platform
was not designed to be used in this way; it'd be good to figure out what
the impact is.

* I'm nervous about what happens if some random webapp accesses that
custom protocol. While I'm sure there are ways to mitigate this rather
more scary variant of "cross-site scripting", if this were to become
standard practice I'd be concerned about the ability of your average
developer to implement their custom protocol handlers securely. After
all, many sites still haven't got regular old-fashioned cross-site
scripting figured out yet.

Given that a local app already has all sorts of access to my system,
personally I have no problem with it embedding the web view. In the
grand scheme of things, I'm more confident about that than I am about
custom protocol handlers where the concern is not malicious developers
but rather incompetent developers; the latter of these being much harder
to detect and potentially more damaging in the long run.