Ruination of OpenID

Leslie Viljoen leslieviljoen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 22:29:16 UTC 2009

Hi everyone

I am a bit confused about the usefulness of OpenID. I thought the idea was
for a person to have a single identity that they could use at multiple
sites. This does not seem to be the practical reality though.

I got an OpenID years after starting my LiveJournal, but I can't seem to
link up my new OpenID with my old LiveJournal account, so its useless there.

Even though Flickr seems to support OpenID as an authenticator, I can't seem
to sign in using an OpenID from somewhere else, so its useless there too.

GMail? Seems to be the same story.

So if all these sites will perform OpenID authentication for you, yet not
accept OpenID authentication from other sites, once again the user has to
have many logins and a password database and there's no benefit from OpenID
at all.

So far Slashdot is the only site I have found which actually seems to be
doing things properly! You can link any foreign OpenID to a Slashdot account
and reap all the benefits of single sign-on.

Or am I wrong about this?

Leslie