Another approach to OpenID authentication from Mediamatic

Kevin Mehlbrech mynock51 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 18:48:13 UTC 2009

I'm fairly new to this list, so forgive me if my points seem repetitive.

I agree with most of what has been said already, specifically the
non-obviousness of the OpenID sign-on on the Mediamatic site (but applaud
them for trying something new). My personal opinion is that asking a user
"who are you" is simply too confusing at this point in time.  Currently I
think the best solutions out there are the nascar ones.  These are
especially seamless if you are already signed into a session with a given
provider in a different tab.

Long-run I would very much like to  see something like the Higgins Project (
http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/) take hold.  Then "who are you" questions
could be answered by simply selecting a profile card to authenticate as
rather than clicking a Google icon or pasting in a URL or username/password
combination.  "Who are you" makes a lot more sense in this context than it
does with a URL or a username/password.  The card system is both more
intuitive and allows for finer grained privacy control and data
portability.  However it'll be a while before ID cards become mainstream,
especially since both usability and support in that space ishorrid right now
from what I've seen.  It will also require even more user training than
openID alone does...

Anyway, just my 2 cents.  Nascar solutions are the best out there right now
IMO, and OpenID shouldn't need to be hidden away as a separate login "page."

-Kevin