MySpace OpenID Popup spotted in the wild

David Christiansen openid-userexperience at davidchristiansen.com
Thu Apr 30 09:08:00 UTC 2009

Hi All,
Trying to maintain a 'Can Do Attitude' here but I have personal reservations
about going back to the days of browser pop-up windows - however I fully
appreciate the reasoning behind the need to show an address bar to the user.

Tell me, how do we permanently avoid the pitfalls experienced back in the day
(a couple of years ago) where pop-up blockers got in the way of
every attempt to honestly launch a browser window from javascript. I know
there are 'work around' to bypass pop-up blockers, but they only work until
the pop-up blockers are updated. I guess this is why 'inline' windows became
so popular.

So what we are needing - is an inline window...with an modal address
bar :working:

Another potential downside I can see is that we would also be mandating
that the user's browser had javascript enabled, is this a good thing? maybe
not even an issue.

Seriously, I might be missing something obvious here so apologies if that
is the case.

--
Regards,
DC