vimeo cul-de-sac

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:23:32 UTC 2009

The problem with FB Connect, as I understand it, is that it presumes that
the underlying site has no social graph of its own. This clearly conflicts
with sites like Vimeo and Digg that make assumptions about user accounts —
i.e. that they have passwords associated with them.
The standard pattern should become associating multiple identifiers with a
local GUID, but unfortunately many sites key identity off of a unique email
address which clearly has ramifications that must be accounted for as remote
identities need to be linked up to existing accounts.

Ben, if you could document this case on the wiki that'd be very useful.

Thanks,

Chris

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Ben Clemens <bclemens at currentmedia.com>wrote:

> Are there fb connect rps you-all consider the best implementations
> (handling
> these and other cases with aplomb)? Apologies if this was covered at the
> conference or before...
>
> On 3/30/09 11:02 AM, "Luke Shepard" <lshepard at facebook.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the feedback, ben. You raise a good point - a lot of RPs have
> > struggled with what to do when they don't collect a password. For some
> Connect
> > partners, they have nailed all the use cases, but occasionally we find an
> edge
> > case that's still assuming pw or email.
> >
> > Others just require a new password anyway- that let's them punt on the
> > difficult issues while still getting some of the benefits of a facebook
> login
> > (like feed and profile data)
> >
> > These are definitely some of the issues we should be educating rps about.
> >
> > I'll pass this along to vimeo.

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // vidoop.com