Again: What's the good in OpenID for me?

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 20:52:30 UTC 2008

Márcio Vinícius Pinheiro wrote:
> Does anyone read this list?
>
> I made a question, let me write it again:
>
> I'm a user of Google, Blogger, Yahoo!, Flickr, Launchpad, and other stuff.
> The openid.net <http://openid.net/> says "OpenID eliminates the need for
> multiple usernames across different websites, simplifying your online
> experience."
> BUT I still have several usernames across different websites (all of
> them with openID)?
> in the end what's the benefit of OpenID for me?
>
> Let me go further:
> How can I make Yahoo know that "mviniciusmp" on Yahoo' systems is the
> same of "marcioviniciusmp" on Google' systems? I still have different
> accounts. I have many OpenIDs just because they invited me to create
> separated IDs.

There's no technical reason why what you describe can't be done. The
problem is just that right now Yahoo! does not support logging in with
OpenID, so there is no way to log in to Yahoo! using your Google account.

You can, however, log in with your Yahoo! or Google account at a site
that *does* accept OpenID. It's up to you to choose which one you want
to use as your OpenID Provider.