The CardSpace factor

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Fri Feb 16 19:03:08 UTC 2007

>Eric Norman wrote:
>
>Here's another possibility.  Using the CardSpace metaphor,
>the business card that I remove from my wallet and show
>to relying parties contains my OpenID URL.

Eric, that's the paradigm that the XRI community has been talking with the
MS CardSpace team about for the last two years. Now, as the XRI community
has joined into the OpenID community, we should all be driving forward that
same topic.

The first step was determining the actual CardSpace claims that could be
used to present an OpenID URL or XRI. Below is a copy of the last email in
an exchange between the OASIS XRI Technical Committee and the CardSpace team
this week to determine the claims MS currently supports (the documentation
they published last month turns out to have some omissions).

The very last claim in the list is a "webpage". This is a very weak claim
for an OpenID URL or XRI, however, so we are opening a dialog with the
CardSpace team about what claims should be used for an OpenID URL or XRI.

=Drummond

*** 2007-02-16 MESSAGE TO OASIS XRI & XDI TCs ***

XRI & XDI TC members:

In following up on Laurie's and my action item, we received the following
clarification from Mike Jones and Arun Nanda about the supported claims in
Microsoft's schema for self-asserted CardSpace information cards. There is
in fact a claim for a URL, referred to as a "webpage" (last one on the list
below).

This should help us in our discussions of XRIs both as claims identifiers
and claims values.

Thanks again to Laurie for her excellent research on this topic, and to Paul
for his help.

=Drummond

Claim
 URI