The CardSpace factor

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:39:25 UTC 2007

I would argue that this only accelerates our need to come up with
documentation, use cases, interfaces-in-the-wild (which I continue to
collect: http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/tags/loginform and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/tags/openid), alternative user
experiences and conceptual work to define the user-side experience of
OpenID in all its potential, glorious forms.

I would also suggest that CardSpace as it exists today is a
Microsoft-developed solution -- and hasn't been kissed by the scrutiny
of the open source community. I would also suggest it is now up to us
to effectively reverse engineer, document and dissect the research and
thinking behind CardSpace -- and put it into a form that regular
OpenID implementors can digest and make use of (I've never been able
to stomach the M$ docs system).

So, though they are blessed with billions to push into R&D, I would
conclude that this is simply one large contribution from an important
community member; we haven't committed anything -- and as the
foundation charter should set out, you gain your seat at the table
based on merit, not on the size of your budget.

Chris