The CardSpace factor

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Wed Feb 7 04:05:30 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 17:58, Eric Norman wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Johannes Ernst wrote:
>> So now that CardSpace (and its eventual equivalent on non-Windows
>> platforms) is part of the OpenID picture, what does this do to the
>> user-experience work on this list?
>
> Why didn't you say that OpenID is part of the CardSpace picture?
> I detect some bias and chauvinism sneaking in.

Eric, this is the OpenID user experience list after all ... if this
was the CardSpace user experience list -- not sure such a list exists
-- then I'd be putting it the other way round. Does this sound
unreasonable to you?

>> We could ...
>> 1. ignore it
>
> What is the antecedent of "it"?  The CardSpace user experience
> or the OpenID user experience?

See above.

>> 2. say that usernames/passwords aren't a problem any more because
>> CardSpace solves that for us at OPs,
>
> There's a lot more to user experience than passwords, methinks.

Great, then you agree with all of us who have collaborated to
assemble this list so far:

http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/User_Experience

Feel free to contribute additional cases.

>> 3. broaden the use cases considered to allow OP authentication either
>>     a. via username/password (traditional)
>>     b. via CardSpace
>>     c. via another OpenID authentication process.
>
> You want me to supply my "identity URL" in order to see a
> CardSpace identity selector?  That seems rather odd.

I didn't think I said anything about what I wanted. But feel free to
express what you want, that's why we have a mailing list and a wiki
after all.

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.