Changing the URL/i-name associated with a user

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Thu Oct 26 20:24:55 UTC 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 10:45, Dan Lyke wrote:

> Johannes Ernst asked:
>>> - how can I change the URL/i-name that I'm currently using with
>>> this site (currently unsolved)
>
> I thought about this for a long time, and then I realized that what
> everyone was referring to as an Identity wasn't really an Identity.

As Joaquin always reminds (at least) me, there's a big difference
between "identity" and "identifier". Actually, I think there are at
least three different things:
  - 2 identifiers may or may not be the same
  - a relying party may or may not be able to tell that 2 different
identifiers identify the same person
  - 2 different identifiers may or may not identify the same person
(but no relying party may ever be able to tell)

<lots of good stuff>

> So changing the Identifiers you want to use with the site is a matter
> of logging in with one of the Identifiers the site already knows about
> (email me a magic cookie, login with my OpenID URL, whatever), and
> adding another Identifier, and then optionally deleting the old
> Identifier.

I just added this case to the wiki.

> This doesn't give you a wholesale "change every site I've ever logged
> in to with my old OpenID URL to my new one" option, and maybe we
> should ask Relying Parties to support an API that allows an Identity
> Provider to do that (and if you thought the "talking past each other"
> on OpenID security was bad now, try making *that* proposal), but it
> does let you manage OpenID changes.

I think this is something we may want to put on the roadmap ... but
I'd argue let's finish a bit more of what's on our plate already
before we get there ...

Just added a new section to the wiki:
http://openid.net/wiki/index.php/Potential_Future_Projects

Johannes Ernst