Use Case: should RPs remember identifiers?

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Mon Nov 27 17:30:18 UTC 2006

Using the now several different MediaWiki OpenID extensions in
existence prompted me to write this use case. Anybody agree or
disagree on what they desired behavior is here?

1. Alice is an administrator of wiki wiki.example.com, which supports
OpenID. She is responsible for rolling back wiki spam. To rollback
wiki spam, she needs to be authenticated as an administrator on this
wiki.
2. To make things easy on herself, she bookmarks wiki.example.com/
wiki/Special:Recentchanges, (the list of recent changes on the wiki)
for a quick and frequent check on potential spam. She typically
visits this page once a day.
3. When Alice discovers a change that might be spam, she performs a
"diff" of the revisions in question and examines the change that was
made. If it was spam, she clicks on "rollback" -- the button that is
displayed on "diff pages" by MediaWiki, if the current user is
authenticated as an administrator

Here are the different implementations that I have seen:

A. WIthout OpenID, MediaWiki remembers Alice's session for some time
(<<1 day). Thus, in order to perform this use case once a day, Alice
must re-enter her MediaWiki user name and password every time she
wishes to remove spam.

B. With the OpenID plugin on openid.net/wiki, or the OpenID plugin at
iiw.windley.org, Alice must re-enter her OpenID identifier every time
she checks on spam. (Session duration seems to be similar/the same as
in case of (A)). Assuming she has a valid session at her OpenID
identity provider, this is potentially more convenient than (A), but
not by much.

C. In the NetMesh implementation (e.g. yadis.org), we store the
OpenID identifier in a long-term cookie. When Alice's session is
expired, the relying party (the wiki) automatically performs the
redirect dance with the identifier stored in the cookie. The result:
Alice does not need to re-enter anything, but -- assuming she has a
valid session at her OpenID identity provider -- she is automatically
authenticated.

I would argue that (C) is better at meeting the needs of Alice than
(A) or (B). Certainly, for Alice == me, experience over recent weeks
has shown that to be true and that's why I am bringing this up. (I
have bookmarked the recent changes of openid.net/wiki, yadis.org,
lid.netmesh.org, and a few others, and openid.net/wiki requires me to
do a lot of repetitive stuff that I don't really want to do).

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.