Request for comments: Sorting fields in signature generation

Marius Scurtescu marius at sxip.com
Wed Sep 27 19:40:55 UTC 2006

On 27-Sep-06, at 12:22 PM, Johannes Ernst wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2006, at 12:08, Marius Scurtescu wrote:
>
>> Multi-valued fields represent lists. Lists are very useful data
>> structures, and yes, lists can be misused/abused.
>
> Now you are knocking down the wrong strawman. Just because there
> are examples where lists are useful, it does not mean that
> everything must be a list (which is how I understand the proposal
> -- "anything could be multi-valued").

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the suggestion definitely was
not  "anything could be multi-valued". The suggestion was to keep
multi-valued parameters in mind when defining sorting so extension
can used them if needed. The core OpenID parameters would stay single-
valued.

> By the way, I think you mean "set" not "list" because it was the
> lack of ordering in sets that caused you to start this thread.

Well, yes, sorting is not well defined. But this collection is not a
set either (you can have multiple identical values as well). You can
call it a multi-set or bag if you want.

Marius