Request for comments: Sorting fields in signature generation

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Wed Sep 27 17:09:23 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Barry Ferg <barry at sxip.com> wrote:
> For that matter, isn't having implementation issues in certain
> restrictive development environments drive the specification kind of
> like the tail wagging the dog?

I am attempting to be pragmatic. Why add something to the
specification that makes it harder to implement, especially in some of
the most common deployment environments? I mentioned Rails and PHP. We
(JanRain) have library implementations of OpenID 1.1 for Python, PHP,
Ruby, Java, .Net, and Perl. The PHP and Ruby libraries are by far the
most popular of those libraries. I think this is justification for
taking them into account when deciding whether to add a new
complication to the specification. Allowing multiple parameters with
the same name is *a new complication.*

Josh