Backwards compatibility

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 22:58:04 UTC 2006

Josh,

Just a point of clarification -- As worded, your #1 says that any OpenId 2.0
message would work in any OpenId 1.1 system, which (from my perspective)
implies that the 2.0 protocol cannot implement any (significant) message
features that aren't defined in 1.1....which would tend to imply that the
two protocols are identical (since 1.1 is already defined).

Are you really meaning to ask the following instead:

#1R: OpenId 2.0 systems MUST implement and support all of the messages in
OpenId 1.1.

#2R: It is possible for implementations to differentiate between OpenID
1.1 and 2.0 and to construct appropriate messages. In essence, it's a
different protocol, and #1R is not required.

Thanks!

David Fuelling