Yet Another Delegation Thread

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Thu Oct 26 15:54:41 UTC 2006

+1. In this whole discussion, I have three very strong views (which the
editors can take as input into their call today):

1) If RP discovery reveals an IdP-specific identifier, the RP MUST send it
to the IdP because that's what the IdP needs most to serve the user.

2) If the IdP receives an IdP-specific identifier, the IdP can act on it
immediately without needing to perform discovery. There is no such thing as
a "stale" IdP-specific identifier. The IdP is either authoritative for it or
it is not.

3) Because of (1) and (2), the protocol should make it clear to the IdP when
the IdP is receiving an IdP-specific identifier, i.e., it should not be
ambiguous to the IdP whether the identifier is the Claimed Identifier or an
IdP-specific identifier.

So the whole question in my mind boils down to: even if the RP discovers an
IdP-specific identifier, should the RP *also* send the Claimed Identifier? I
believe there is a strong case for doing so for the reasons discussed in
this thread.

Go for it, editors!

=Drummond