Yet Another Delegation Thread

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 19:23:12 UTC 2006

Dick Hardt wrote:

>>> Specific
>>> unfortunately that disco information could be modified in route, so
>>> the IdP can't trust it
>> I have said this several times already, but THE IDP DOES NOT HAVE TO
>> TRUST THIS INFORMATION.
>
> Then why send it?

That's what I've been asking all along! :)

What exactly do we imagine the IdP doing with the claimed_identifier?
The main answer I've seen anyone post so far is that the IdP will use it
to greet the user, but:
   * If it's only used for display, the IdP doesn't really need to check
it since the user or RP is only fooling itself.
   * I would expect my IdP to greet me as "Martin", since I've
registered with them and so they presumably know my name. Even if they
don't have a record of my name, there's no point in parroting back to me
whatever I just typed into the login form! [1]

[1] 10 INPUT "What is your name?"; N$
     20 PRINT "Hello, "; N$; "!"