[PROPOSAL] Handle "http://user at example.com" Style Identifiers

Hallam-Baker, Phillip pbaker at verisign.com
Mon Oct 23 03:22:59 UTC 2006

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just bypass all the stupid email callback stuff that we usually have to put up with?

Its easy to do, the only constraint being that the IdP has to be able to advertise an SRV record.

IdP advertises

_openid.example.com  SRV 1 100 80 openid1.example.com

Given an identifier alice at example.com the RP looks for the _openid service, resolves this works out where to resolve the URI.

This does not have to be the only mode of resolution but it is certainly a very very useful one and something that can be used transparently inline with existing practice. Many sites already use the email address form as an identifier.

Of course there is a spam issue, there is a spam issue with every contact identifier. That's why you use the IdP account and don't muck up your email account.