[PROPOSAL] Handle "http://user at example.com" Style Identifiers

Kaliya * Kaliya at mac.com
Fri Oct 20 18:57:35 UTC 2006

I think it is a terrible idea.

1) If you put something out into the market that looks like an e-mail it
will be used like an e-mail. I have personal experience with this.

I had a AIM handle for the Mac part of the universe kaliya at mac.com (it was
not an e-mail address) but because it looked like one people used it like
one and I basically had to go to .mac and pay for an account so that the
wires did not cross.

2) I think OpenID is new and needs a new way to identify folks. And it is
our job to teach people about this new way.  Lots of services give people
homepages within their spaces...myspace, AIMpages etc.  so they can use
those URL's if they don't have one yet they can get one.

3) Giving folks i-names is an option too.  URLs do certain things well...XRI
alows people to migrate from @AOL*julie to =julie and basically maintain the
same identifier (The i-number behind it).

4) We need to follow the creative commons lead and have lots of different
ways of explaining the new way to people. It is not that complex. I explain
it to normal people all the time. We are getting the right metaphors and
ways to talk about them. We should do some little videos adn comic strips to
explaing this new way. I think it is the task of the OpenID Community Org to
produce such things.

=Kaliya