OpenID Login Page Link Tag

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Fri Oct 20 04:47:34 UTC 2006

I initially agreed as well. But to play devil's advocate, the link-to-XRDS
option could actually be pretty efficient. Any HTML page could simply
advertise the availability of its Yadis XRDS file using an XRDS link in the
header. Assuming that many or all of the pages on a site would be covered by
the same XRDS file, the browser would only need to download it once to cover
the entire site. The XRDS would expire (using the same cache control that
XRI resolvers use) and be refreshed as needed.

This is the architecture that P3P used
(http://www.w3.org/TR/P3P/#ref_syntax).

The XRDS file could provide discovery of multiple services representing the
RP, not just the login page.

=Drummond