PROPOSAL: OpenID Form Clarification (A.4)

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Thu Oct 19 05:42:33 UTC 2006

On 18-Oct-06, at 10:33 PM, Recordon, David wrote:

> This isn't worth me standing in the way.  If you can get general
> consensus of those actively participating in the spec process then I
> won't stand in the way of the community, in fact if this happens
> I'd be
> happy to make the change to the spec.

thanks, I think :)

> There seems to be other ways to deal with this though, since you're
> going to have to deal with the case of a RP not having this markup.
> Giving the rich client an icon like the SSL padlock which lights up
> when
> the user visits a RP that supports it and then the user clicking
> it, or
> submitting the form, to start the flow seems like one viable entry
> point.  To deal with a RP with no markup, the user would not see the
> icon illuminate, position their cursor within the OpenID field, and
> then
> click the icon which would indicate to the client that this
> actually is
> a RP as well as let it capture the field within the DOM to interact
> with.

Presenting an interface for the user to interact with when the form
is detected is easy for the user to grasp. We have something that
sits on top of the form so it is clear to the user.

Teaching them to select some chrome when the tag is missing is tough
to do.

This will be much more clear when you get to see a demo!