Changing Terminology (was RE: IdP term in spec (was RE:Delegation discussion summary))

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Tue Oct 17 23:22:24 UTC 2006

+1 to OpenID Provider.

=Drummond

-----Original Message-----
From: specs-bounces at openid.net [mailto:specs-bounces at openid.net] On Behalf
Of Josh Hoyt
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:41 AM
To: Dick Hardt
Cc: specs at openid.net
Subject: Re: Changing Terminology (was RE: IdP term in spec (was

On 10/17/06, Dick Hardt <dick at sxip.com> wrote:
> I think we should be open (pun intended) to making changes.
>
> I really like the OpenID Provider -> shortens to OP, and is very
> specific on what it does.
> I have always found IdP to be a misnomer, and have mentioned it in
> the past.
> Now we have a great candidate, that provides more clarity, and it
> should be a simple search and replace, and does not affect any code.

While I am resistant to changing the specification without a
compelling reason and strong consensus, I am open to coming up with a
better term for this. The term IdP is already different from the
OpenID 1 terminology (OpenID server), and no official specification
has used it. If people agree on a better term, I won't resist.

+0 on OpenID Provider (that is, better than IdP, but not better enough
for me to defend if anyone objects)

Josh