Summarizing Where We're At

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Tue Oct 17 18:52:32 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Dick Hardt <dick at sxip.com> wrote:

> > There is no reason for this to be in the core. I could make more
> > arguments about it, but I'll stop there, unless there is consensus
> > that it should go in the core.
>
> Would you provide a reason to counter my justification:
>         http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2006-October/000433.html
>
> Your vote is a -1, not a zero, so I would like to understand why.

The way that I understand your argument is "it has something to do
with authentication, so put it in the core spec." Features should be
in an extension if it can be, so that the spec is easier to
understand, implement, and extend. Especially if there is not
consensus.

I am also not convinced that it's technically the right way to
accomplish what you're aiming to accomplish, but I am not going there
unless you can convince enough people that the use case is in scope
for core OpenID authentication.

Also:
  http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2006-October/000206.html

Josh