Questions about OpenID Attribute Properties Draft 1

Dick Hardt dick at sxip.com
Wed Oct 4 10:56:42 PDT 2006

On 4-Oct-06, at 10:07 AM, Frank I. Reiter wrote:

> Dick Hardt wrote:
>> First of all, the list of properties is not part of the spec. Anyone
>> can define a new URI to be a new property, the properties do not need
>> be under openid.net at all.
>>
>> I would hope that sites would start to define their own properties at
>> some point in the future.
> So then why do we have:
>
>     http://openid.net/schema/contact/web/Amazon
>
> as part of the "list of standard attribute property names for use with
> the attribute exchange service", if Amazon can define:
>
>     http://amazon.com/schema/users/userid
>
> whenever they like? (Same question for all other service providers
> specifically identified in the spec).

Because it is hard to convince Amazon that is something useful to do
right now!

But as sites see OpenID being adopted, then they hopefully will do it.

Frank: if you are interested in schema, it would be great for you to
participate in the Identity Schema activity that Paul Trevithick is
organizing.

	http://wiki.idcommons.net/moin.cgi/IdentitySchemasCharter

Clearly I need to spend some time describing the vision that we have
for properties as we have talked to many people and have some
advanced thinking, but have not put it into a readily digestible form.