openid.delegate explained.

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Tue Oct 3 12:13:22 PDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Brad Fitzpatrick <brad at danga.com> wrote:
> but LiveJournal.com knows jack shit about bradfitz.com ... and
> perhaps Brad doesn't trust LJ to know about bradfitz.com ...
> or fears LJ might charge more to use that feature.  etc.

What my protocol change proposal[1] amounts to is making the IdP do
the work, which does change this aspect of delegation. It doesn't
change the "portability" of identifiers. In fact, it's a seamless
transition from the perspective of users, unless their IdP sucks.
Because OpenID is decentralized, if you're using delegation, you can
choose an IdP that doesn't suck (for whatever your definition of suck
is), so I don't think it's a real issue.

Josh

1. http://openid.net/pipermail/specs/2006-September/000002.html