[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] CIBA Authentication Request format

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Wed Jul 18 20:13:27 UTC 2018

It is somewhat awkward that the requests to the backchannel authentication
endpoint are application/json while requests to the token endpoint are
application/x-www-form-urlencoded and a CIBA client will call both
endpoints directly so have to use two different request formats. Having the
backchannel authentication request be JSON seems to be the WGs preference,
however. As a few people said on the July 10 call, a client has to have
JSON capabilities anyway to consume the token endpoint response so it
doesn't seem too cumbersome to require the client to format a request body
in JSON. Both can be done with curl. An application/jwt for signed requests
to the backchannel endpoint would be an optional format that's used by
clients in situations that need nonrepudiation or whatever. That's my gauge
of the WG and this draft anyway from my rather short involvement. Perhaps
others will correct me. But I'm looking to get the current ambiguity in the
draft fixed.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 5:14 AM, Petteri Stenius <
Petteri.Stenius at ubisecure.com> wrote:

> Some thoughts from an implementors perspective
>

> It would be nice if the backchannel endpoint was so simple that for
> testing and exploring you could invoke it with a simple command line tool
> like curl. For me this implies using form post for request body format and
> client_secret_basic or client_secret_post for client authentication.
>

> However I do like the idea of using application/jwt for signed requests to
> the backchannel endpoint. The downside is that this is a new request format
> for most OAuth and OIDC implementations. Also in the context of CIBA the
> request format for backchannel endpoint will be different from the request
> format for token endpoint. This makes implementations unnecessary complex
> as they need to implement two different request formats for these two
> endpoints.
>

> I'd like to suggest for backchannel endpoint to reuse the request format
> and client authentication methods of other server to server endpoints such
> as token endpoint (not the authorization endpoint). This makes CIBA look
> more like for example draft-ietf-oauth-device-flow which I think is quite
> closely related to CIBA.
>

> Maybe in the future there is a major update to OAuth/OIDC that defines
> JSON and JWT request formats for all server to server endpoints.
>

> Petteri

computer. Thank you._