[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Account porting within the same OP

Manger, James James.H.Manger at team.telstra.com
Fri Jun 1 07:04:26 UTC 2018

It isn't sufficient for New OP to *know* Old OP's sub. The RP need *proof from Old OP* that this sub did port to New OP. In fact, it is almost dangerous for New OP to directly include an Old OP sub as it will be too tempting for a developer to just use it without checking with Old OP.

For your specific case where New OP = Old OP, though, the RP is authenticating both together so it should be okay. Effectively the OP is saying these 2 (or more) subs are aliases for the same user. A use case could be merging two account.

Simplest solution: a new id_token member named "subs" whose value is an array of strings that are other "sub" values for the same user.

The Account Porting spec also defines a "remove" member to indicate if the RP should remove or keep the old sub in addition to the new sub. So an array of {sub, remove} pairs might be better, or perhaps we can assume {remove:true} for the New OP = Old OP case?

--
James Manger