[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Proposed schedule for Implementer's Draft vote - version numbers

Hjelm, Bjorn Bjorn.Hjelm at VerizonWireless.com
Mon Mar 6 19:33:27 UTC 2017

Dear MODRNA WG members,
Please share your thoughts and views on this as well.

BR,
Bjorn

From: Openid-specs-mobile-profile [mailto:openid-specs-mobile-profile-bounces at lists.openid.net] On Behalf Of Manger, James
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2017 4:19 PM
To: Mike Jones
Cc: openid-specs-mobile-profile at lists.openid.net
Subject: [E] Re: [Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Proposed schedule for Implementer's Draft vote - version numbers

draft-account-porting → openid-connect-account-porting is ok. I guess we should make this change in the repo as well.

But adding -06 to the file name is a poor idea.
“-06” is really only an approximate internal-to-working-group hint about when it is worth reviewing a draft again. We deliberately removed -0x from file names in the Bitbucket repo. It prevented having links that pointed to the latest draft (which is what you almost always want). It caused mismatches with repo commits (which already provides a separate versioning scheme).

All the current Final Specs and Implementer’s Drafts and some of the Drafts at http://openid.net/developers/specs/ have “-1_0” in their file name. Some have “1.0” in their title, but not all. Fewer have “1.0” in the label that links to the spec. This is a spec version, not a draft number. The Drafts are a mixed bag: some mention a 1.0 version, a couple mention draft numbers.

My personal preference is to omit a “1.0” version number. If there is ever an alternative approach that can introduce “v2” in its title.

For the account porting spec, I would suggest:
  Label (on web pages listing specs): “OpenID Connect Account Porting”
  Title (in spec): “OpenID Connect Account Porting — draft 06”
  File: openid-connect-account-porting.html
Plus a link to the Bitbucket repo if you want the full history, diffs etc.

I wonder if repo tags would be helpful in marking revisions that we want to remember (eg proposed & approved implementer’s draft, final spec, and spec with errata)?

--
James Manger