[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] Fwd: [User Questioning (a.k.a Transaction Authorization)] First draft

Torsten.Lodderstedt at telekom.de Torsten.Lodderstedt at telekom.de
Wed Sep 7 15:51:29 UTC 2016

Hi all,

thank you for producing this first draft for user questioning (formerly known as transaction authorization).

Here are some comments:

Verification code: the document defines three different flows how a client can obtain the user’s answer. What is the use case for the “terminated by client” flow? From the discussion in our WG call I understood you want to support SMS-based OTP mechanisms for getting the user’s answer. I personally think this does not require user to (somehow) give the code to the client which in turn uses it as a credential to obtain the answer from the user questioning endpoint. Integration of SMS could be achieved (encapsulated within the OP) by adding a confirmation URL to the SMS pointing to a suitable (internal) endpoint at the OP. This way even SMS can be used in conjunction with the other modes.

User Questioning Object: What is the benefit of using always the same object type in all requests and responses from/to the user questioning API? I think ordinary request/response parameters would do the job. For example, why do I need to respond to the client user id and type given I sent this data to the OP in the request?

best regards,
Torsten.