[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] How to invalidate cookie sessions in RP

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Mar 28 18:33:43 UTC 2016

There specs for logout in the front channel using redirects, and one I am working on for the back channel.

It is probably a bad practice to have session cookies that don’t expire.  We have seen requests for logout, but not a account deprovisioning other than through SCIM or something like that.

I would ask why a user being unsubscribed to mobile connect is a problem for the SP as long as the session is good.   Is this different from logout?
I can potentially see backchannel logout being required if the user doesn’t have an active browser session.

I think what you will find on the web is that most SP don’t retain enough of the session in the server to be able to correlate and kill a front channel session based on a out of band signal.

So while SP do ask for back channel logout, most of them decide that they can’t do it based on how the site is designed around cookies.

I think the closest thing is backchannel logout, but most RP/SP won’t do it.

It is exactly the same problem in SAML and almost no one uses the SAML SLO spec for that reason.

John B.