[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] How to generate the "sub" in Mobile Connect

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Tue Apr 21 17:39:13 UTC 2015

This would require that RP not consider the issuer part of the identifier.

That has significant security implications.

Nothing stops a non MNO openID connect provider from producing a colliding PCR.

The SP would be required to special case all there security logic for Mobile Profile operators,  and know who the operators are.

This would allow any operator to compromise the security of any other operators accounts.    Probably a non starter for something claiming to be secure.

The WG discussed this and decided that portability of the identity would be out of scope.
We can have a mechanism to allow users to migrate from one PCR/issuer to another, but even that is complicated if we want to prevent correlation.
One way to do that would be to have globally unique PCR and when a SP receives a unknown iss/sub pair it would look to see if the sub exists for a registered account and if it is found,  then make a API call to the old issuer to see if the new issuer is now authoritative for that,  and if it is update the account record with the new issuer.

That is the only safe way to do something like this.  That prevents the donor operator from having there security arbitrarily compromised by any other operator.

It also stops people from crating SP software that ignores issuers, and causes general security problems with non MNO IDP.

It also allows MNO with existing SP’s and subject identifiers to be able to continue using them.

PS you should not use the client_id when generating the PCR, that will change over time and cause untold havoc.

The Connect spec has a way to generate a Pairwise identifier for a user. We should stick to that.

John B.