[Openid-specs-mobile-profile] About Level of Assurance

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Fri Oct 31 13:48:20 UTC 2014

With something like 850 idp, letting them each define there own ACR and AMR would not be scalable for the RP.

There is an IANA registry for ACR  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6711
(I happen to be one of the IANA designated experts for that)

These registered values are also used in SAML.

Minimally registered values with publicly documented meanings need to be used.

I do think that there needs to be a common set of ACR values that are understood (MTI) for all IdP deploying the mobile profile.

I suspect that ISO 29115 may be a starting point, it doesn't cover the strong credential pseudonymous case. (Prepaid/anonymous sim using strong multi factor)

There may also be a need for some sort of 3rd party certification at some point if these credentials are going to be accepted by national ID programs in places like the US, UK & Canada.

Using an existing trust framework that defines ACR may make that easier.

This WG needs to define the technical mechanisms and point at a Trust framework of some sort.   It may be that there needs to be a separate process with the GSMA and OIX etc to nail down that trust framework.   That may also be where the global terms of service for registering as a RP also live.

The acr values parameter is a space separated list in the order of preference that the RP is willing to accept.
Connect dosen't have logical comparisons like better than in SAML as better and worse are concepts that IdP and RP typically have a hard time agreeing on and change depending on context.

We decided that letting the RP explicitly state it's order of preference was more likely to get implemented.

I am personally not a big fan of using amr.   in SAML specifying the context that specifically has generally caused more problems than it has solved outside of a constrained enterprise SSO environment.

RP will definitely think they want to know, but if they rely on it the first time a carrier adds a new amr like FIDO UAF v2 then RP start breaking.   It is a challenge to allow amr to be useful and extensible in a large federation.     The problem is that people think that they want it.

It may be possible if amr is defined coarsely enough,  say with 4 levels that may keep us out of trouble.   However my experience is that every multi factor vender is going to want to be listed separately.
I have had many happy discussions with OATH where they wanted HOTP (RFC 4226) tokens differentiated from TOTP (RFC 6238) and OCRA (RFC 6287) tokens.   There are people that will want to go down that slippery slope.

John B.