[Openid-specs-fapi] Comments on Grant Management for OAuth 2.0

Torsten Lodderstedt torsten at lodderstedt.net
Wed Sep 30 10:08:42 UTC 2020

Hi Taka,

thanks for your feedback and apologise for the delay in answering it.

> On 12. Aug 2020, at 17:05, Takahiko Kawasaki via Openid-specs-fapi <openid-specs-fapi at lists.openid.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> My comments on "Grant Management for OAuth 2.0" ( https://bitbucket.org/openid/fapi/src/master/Financial_API_Grant_Management.md ) are as follows.
>
> [1] Multiple Grant IDs
>
> If the spec allows multiple grant IDs to be issued to a particular combination of a client application and a resource owner, there are no big differences between grant IDs and access/refresh tokens. I'm afraid that benefits gained won't be so big compared to efforts that would have to be made for the introduced complexity.

The main benefit is a decoupling of grants and refresh tokens. A refresh may function as representation of the grant. A separation between grant and refresh tokens allows the following use cases:
- the client may obtain multiple refresh tokens on different devices
- the client can re-connect to a grant after a refresh token has expired or way revoked.

In both cases, the grant/consent is retained, i.e. the user does not have to consent again. Additionally if required by the respective regulation, the client can retain the data obtained via a certain grant even if the refresh token ceases to exist.

Right. The spec would only define two modes for updating or replacing the (implicitly identified) grant, which is more or less what https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-incremental-authz does (without the normative requirement to obey to the requested behaviour).

> I don't think another access token is needed to call Grant Management APIs. In other words, I think the same access token that has been issued as a result of an authorization request can be used to call Grant Management APIs.

That’s an option. We envision use cases where the client wants to mint a fresh/dedicated access token. The key question is whether the client is automatically given access to the grant API without the need to dedicated scope values. I think this is the clearer design.

> In addition, because an access token has information about a client application and a resource owner, information about a grant ID won't be necessary in the API path or as a request parameter.

I can imagine to introduce this as an option. Whether it works depends on the access token design. A self contained access token issued for a certain RS does not need this data.

But even if the access token has information about its underlying grant, this does not address the use case of a client having multiple grant ids.

best regards.
Torsten.