[Openid-specs-fapi] External : Dependencies on the OBE Registry

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 09:20:59 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-24 10:56, Freddi Gyara wrote:
Thanx Freddy!

Let me briefly comment on your response.

First off, I'm not suggesting this as the next immediate step.

> Unfortunately, NCAs do not have the technical or process capability of maintaining a PKI and a proper electronic register.

This could eventually be provided as an "appliance" (or even as a cloud service), needing very moderate competence to run as well as integrate with the rest of the accreditation process.

> MTLS is convenient to implement - there is significant expertise in the industry, lots of vendor support - both through HSMs and hardware edge devices.

The technical part is fairly simple but not the way you manage it.  In this case things become quite complicated because an NCA effectively becomes an "RA" but without belonging to the issuers trust network.  This is the scalability issue behind this suggestion.  Most of the eIDAS issuers will probably go bust because dedicated trust networks work just fine.

If you have a link to the current NCA-TPP-eIDAS certification process, I would very much appreciate it.

> A similar level of understanding, vendor support, tooling and expertise just does not exist around signature based solutions.

I see.

> I agree with you, that non-MTLS, signature based systems are the direction that we should be travelling in.

Good!

Regards,
Anders