[Openid-specs-fapi] Issue #295: Possible support for "embedded" SCA mode (openid/fapi)

Francis Pouatcha fpo at adorsys.de
Fri Jun 5 02:23:26 UTC 2020

Hello Ralph,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 2:49 PM Ralph Bragg <ralph.bragg at raidiam.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Sure – could you perhaps assist with this and call out where you feel the
> current standards are lacking with a comparision specifically to the
> clauses in FAPI Redirect (1 or 2) and FAPI CIBA that would not facilitate
> either of the approaches that you’re suggesting?

I am not talking about FAPI or NextGen, but about the PSD2 RTS. It uses the
word SCA (Strong Customer Authentication) to cover Authentication of the
PSU and Authorization of the transaction. This is where the confusion
starts. Authentication shall only be a consequence of the authorization.
Both of them handled separately would have kept overall framework
simpler and less ambiguous.

> I’m particulary interested in what’s missing from OAuth and OIDC discovery
> that advertises what mechanisms an ASPSP supports for use by TPPs (CIBA or
> Redirect (and every flavour) off?

-> I appreciate the way oAuth and OIDC deal with AS/OP metadata.
-> In the context of Open Banking, passing Client/RP metadate to the AS
through dynamic client registration is sort of static, as an authorization
process depends not only on AS/OP and Client/RP capabilities, but also on
many situational elements accounting the RO/PSU device, the nature of the
transaction (amount to pay, permissions requests) and some dynamic risk
factor like the location or the moment at which the transaction is taking
place.

> I’m also really interested in where the current standards would preclude
> the *use cases* that are trying to be achieved in particular the profile
> of CIBA as we crafted at the OBIE would allow Banks to choose to opt out of
> SCA RTS or even allow customers to choose to opt out of SCA (or even any
> authentication) if they chose too. The id_token_hint instead of the
> login_token_hint would allow a Bank to essentially delegate this flow a
> TPP. Essentially using the token as a credential however this credential
> was issued to the TPP not given by a PSU to a TPP.

Just read. through ciba. Looks actually designed for asynchronous
authorization. In my first look  overloaded for embedded, as. some ASPSP
might offer embedded without having to offer decoupled SCA.

> This is really pertinent given the Australians are looking at ‘What next’
> for their decoupled flows and it would be good to cover all basis.

Yes...