[Openid-specs-fapi] FAPI meeting request - Mobile app access (Francis)

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 14:02:58 UTC 2020

Hello Francis,

Can we take this slowly to not create unnecessary friction or hardships?

I am claiming that:
- On-line banking applications usually call bank-servers directly.
- Such applications use some kind of API that in the end presumably does quite similar things as Open Banking APIs.
- Such applications are neither TPPs nor regulated.
- Such applications use authentication solutions that the bank consider sufficient.
- FIDO is currently held as the state-of-the-art for user authentication.
- FIDO is not a PKI solution.

If any of the above is wrong, feel free to correct me.

What I'm proposing is that it might be useful if such applications could reuse the core of Open Banking APIs. This obviously needs another "input channel" since the security model is entirely different.

Since on-line banking as well as mobile wallets are not standardized, I'm only proposing a standardized mechanism [1] for connecting trusted bank-local applications to Open Banking APIs.  BTW, a trusted bank-local application may very well support a PSD2 compliant service.

You claim that the Berlin Group cannot introduce this due to regulatory requirements.
Since the Berlin Group is a member-driven organization shouldn't this be up to the members to decide?

OBIE is different because they got substantial government funding.

FAPI is not bound by regulatory requirements and are thus free developing stuff that doesn't necessarily fit OBIE and CMA.

Best
Anders

1] https://cyberphone.github.io/doc/payments/open-banking-direct-mode.pdf#page=7