[Openid-specs-fapi] FAPI 2.0

Joseph Heenan joseph at authlete.com
Wed Feb 26 16:23:28 UTC 2020

Thanks Daniel!

A few quick initial thoughts:

"2.4. Differences to FAPI 1.0” the first column doesn’t seem quite right - as this is the base line profile should it be comparing against FAPI-R rather than FAPI-RW?

If it is comparing against FAPI-RW, then FAPI-RW already only allows asymmetric client auth, and allows both private_key_jwt and MTLS client auth.

I have some concerns about FAPI 2.0 baseline only allowing MTLS for client authentication.As it stands today this still adds quite a burden on RPs, compared to FAPI-R which did allow simple RP credentials.

I think I was expecting that the baseline profile would allow public clients, which it doesn’t seem to.

I’m surprised to see the baseline spec requiring encrypted id_token support from clients - I think the idea is that id_tokens are only sent in the back channel, so encryption seems unnecessary?

RS Checking access tokens are not revoked ("MUST verify that the access token is neither expired nor revoked;”) is also very strong language in a baseline profile, and appears to rule out the implementation choice of having short lived JWT access tokens that cannot be revoked.

Thanks

Joseph