[Openid-specs-fapi] Name change and FAPI Evolution

Stuart Low stuart at biza.io
Fri Feb 21 00:58:09 UTC 2020

I support Baseline and Advanced.

At the potential risk of opening another rabbit hole (sorry again Dave!
:)), I'd also like to suggest consideration for the adoption of semantic
versioning (https://semver.org/) as this is a widely understood
convention for implementer's (ie. software engineering). For published
versions of the standard this would be x.y format (or simply x) while WG
internal changes prior to release could utilise x.y.z. All changes
within a major version (x) would be backward compatible meaning changes
beyond initial .0 would be constrained to MAY, SHOULD, OPTIONAL and
RECOMMENDED clauses or a Brand New Profile (I've used "Extreme" in
examples).

By adopting this through to Certification Suite, tests could be
associated with version numbers (rather than specific references to
clauses) and release notes per version would be used to highlight clause
additions/numbering changes etc. On this basis certification could be
given for "FAPI 1 (Profile)", "FAPI 2 (Profile)" with implementer's
having the choice to potentially further specify certification
indicating they meet "FAPI 2.1 (Profile)".

Prior to considering a ticket creation I'd be interested in the mailing
lists thoughts on this. By way of example this would result in an
initial starting point of:

FAPI 1.0 Read
FAPI 1.0 Read/Write
FAPI 2.0 Baseline
FAPI 2.0 Advanced

As functionality is added (primarily in 2.y I would assume) this would
involve the WG using full x.y.z format then releasing x.y version. From
the current state where there is already a v1 (so it's off limits) the
"typical" initial approach would be to use the arbitrarily non
conformant v0 or v99. Alternatives could be the use of -alpha pre
releases but at least personally I've found this problematic. Since
pictures are often more explanatory here's a rough starting point of how
this would flow. I've deliberately avoided talking about FAPI 3 (ie.
breaking changes post FAPI 2) as this seems like a "Future Stu problem". :)