[Openid-specs-fapi] Recent statistics for "Swish" (SE) and PISPs (UK)

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 12:46:50 UTC 2020

A while ago the administrator of the Open Banking Slack channel terminated my account (indefinitely?) when I somewhat stubbornly insisted that P2P payments represent a strong driver for new payment systems.  Here are some recent statistics that add more meat to this claim: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/andersrundgren_status-report-activity-6701130332973875200-kw4J/

Please do not regard this as criticism, but rather as a major opportunity just waiting to be explored.

Yes, "Swish" et al compete with regulated entities a la PSD2 but the market in terms of Consumers, Merchants, and Banks do not really care about that.  However, maintaining multiple APIs that (core-wise) do essentially same thing is not something that anybody gains from (except consultants and SW vendors).

Technically the issue is pretty clear: How do you best complement an OAuth2 access method with another method where the authorization data for a payment transaction (unusually) is created without any interaction with the ASPSP, like Apple Pay?  There is also a sub issue: Some payment scenarios like P2P also require API access from a mobile application without necessarily going through a TPP.

Thanx,
Anders