[Openid-specs-fapi] Strong MERCHANT Authentication

Anders Rundgren anders.rundgren.net at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 15:01:20 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-19 14:24, Francis Pouatcha wrote:

<snip>

> What you are suggesting (having the user sign his payment order) is the way to go. In order to achieve wide adoption we need to have this integrated and coordinated with existing Open Banking standards and help move all in the same direction. The eIDas initiative, the EBA institution registry and EBICS key management experience are components to look at, as banks are being mandated by law to deal with them.

My current problem is that the security model underpinning Open Banking APIs is at odds with streamlined payment solutions like Apple Pay (which also signs payment authorizations locally) as well as with W3C's PaymentRequest API.  However, the Open Banking folks seem moderately interested in looking into this, so I'm currently focusing on other bank-initiatives like EMPSA which clearly is after Apple's scalp.

Regards
Anders