[Openid-specs-fapi] Fwd: Letter from Vice-President Valdis Dombrovskis: Comments about Redirection

Henrik Biering hb at peercraft.com
Sat Mar 9 17:31:05 UTC 2019

Probably Mr Dombrovski has been presented with the Danish "NemID" a
/previously/ bank owned eID where service providers place a login applet
on their own webpage. The 2. factor (which is partly optional for banks)
has been paperbased ch/resp. But most recently an app redirect option
has been available (and popular). But it is implemented in a way that
still makes NemID extremely susceptible to realtime phishing.

There is no possibility for ordinary users to distinguish real RP's from
fake - and not even requirements for authorized RP's to used encrypted
connections.

It was originally planned to notify NemID under eIDAS by simply defining
NemID to have the desired security level in the "National Standard for
the Security Level of Identities". But as a result of a public hearing
this "security by mere aspiration" definition was removed. And there is
currently no intention from Danish authorities to notify NemID under
eIDAS. This is planned for a next generation eID labeled "MitID" that
will most likely be introduced in 2021.

So in short the Danish eID with the new 2. factor app actually uses
redirection, but implemented in a way that still does not qualify it to
be notified as an eID under the eIDAS scheme.

FYI:  Here is an article from the leading Danish IT-newssite Version2
(hoping that it translates reasonably using online translation services):
https://www.version2.dk/artikel/digitaliseringsstyrelsen-efter-udvikler-angreb-ja-nemid-saarbar-phishing-1086131

Best,
Henrik Biering