[Openid-specs-fapi] OpenBanking CIBA flow / login_hint_token

Ralph Bragg ralph.bragg at raidiam.com
Mon Jun 17 06:48:18 UTC 2019

Jospeh, yes sort of. The login hint token is meant to contain a user identified, either a previously used request/intent ID, a static user ID that’s pairwise bound to the client or worst case a static ID for the user.

This would facilitate a push (in the first two cases) and potentially a phishing Vector in the third.

If there’s no “hint” then yes, a CIBA flow can be used in the way that you described however the QR code / thing to convey to the customer just needs to be a long / nonce intentid, the customer already knows the bank that they selected and all of the information should have been staged with the CIBA request this is sufficient to allow a customer to come and claim the CIBA initiated request. This flow is useful when you’re performing authN/authZ on two different devices. Mobile to mobile a redirect is much better.